Ergonomics in dentistry
According to the “European Society of Dental Ergonomics”, about 65 % of all dentists have musculoskeletal complaints varying in severity but involving one or more of the following: discomfort, pain, limitation of functioning and loss of working time. The risk of disability is considerable.
The reason is that dental practitioners often work in static unhealthy postures – and in some cases even with the units out of sight and reach.
Traditionally the unit instruments have been placed “to the left” of the chair:
- To reach a unit instrument the practitioner must look away from the area of treatment and turn the body
- In doing so, the practitioner needs to move the hands from the primary area of work
- As a result, the focus on the treatment is repeatedly disrupted
- The eyes become tired from constant adaptation and accommodation (adjustment of the eyes to differences in light and changes in distance of objects)
- The practitioner must carry the full weight of instrument and hose
- The chairside assistant cannot help the dentist change contra-angles and burs and cannot transfer unit instruments to the dentist
- The instrument holders are closed and difficult to clean and disinfect
Unit with instruments placed “to the left” of the chair
When working solo, it is particularly important that all instruments are located within a short reaching distance.
XO solution – two handed working technique
During endodontic treatment, it is useful to position a tray under the instrument bridge so that the endo files are within easy reach of the right hand.
XO solution – two handed working technique – endodontic treatment
XO ergonomics guide
In relation to the tooth and tooth surface to be treated, this interactive guide recommends healthy and optimal working positions and optimal patient positions.
XO Ergonomics guide app in XO FLOW
Sit, see and work well – at the same time
This allows new users to get familiar with the XO solution in two minutes, The checklist is available in 4 languages in the XO FLOW Help app and below: